AUTUMN 2015: ONLINE DISTANCE LEARNING
10 WEEK INTRODUCTORY PHILOSOPHY COURSE
Deadline for Registration is September 11
Beginning: The Week of September 14th.
Fee: The Introductory Course is being offered with only a $10 administrative fee. All other, ongoing, courses will be offered at the standard fees.
A course designed for thoughtful men and women who seek an understanding of the nature of humanity and of the world in which we live, this introductory course shows how great philosophic ideas of the past and present may be put to effective practical use in daily life.
The course inquires into the meaning of human existence; the levels of consciousness; natural law; thought, feeling and action; and mankind's functions and possibilities.
The introductory series of 10 lectures is offered three times a year: in January, April, and September. The online course, at one hour a week, covers the first five weeks of the traditional two-hour classroom's syllabus.
The School of Practical Philosophy is offering its Introductory Philosophy Course via an online, interactive distance-learning format. Not a text-based chat-room, this enjoyable format allows the entire class to be heard and seen via the internet.
- Introductory Monday(1) 8:00pm Eastern / 7:00pm Central / 6:00pm Mountain / 5:00pm Pacific – this class will start Monday September 14, 2015.
- Introductory Monday(2) 8:30pm Eastern / 7:30pm Central / 6:30pm Mountain / 5:30pm Pacific – this class will start Monday September 14, 2015.
- Introductory Tuesday(1) 7:30pm Australian Eastern Standard Time / 5:30am Eastern -- this class will start Tuesday September 22, 2015. NOTE: This class is hosted by the School in Brisbane and will be priced at $90 in accordance with their standard fee converted from $AUD to $USD.
- Introductory Tuesday(2) 7:00pm Eastern / 6:00pm Central / 5:00pm Mountain / 4:00pm Pacific – this class will start Tuesday September 15, 2015.
- Introductory Wednesday 7:30pm BST / 8:30pm CET / 2:30pm Eastern / 1:30pm Central / 12:30pm Mountain / 11:30am Pacific – this class will start Wednesday September 16, 2015.
- Introductory Thursday 10:00pm Eastern / 9:00pm Central / 8:00pm Mountain / 7:00pm Pacific – this class will start Thursday September 17, 2015.
Economics with Justice -- Wednesdays at 9:00am BST / 10:00am CET / 4:00am Eastern - this class will start Wednesday September 30, 2015. A simple introduction to the principles of economics that embraces justice and prosperity for all.
If you have completed the introductory class and are interested in continuing using the online classroom format, click the orange Register Now button to be taken to description of additional classes being offered online.
We have gotten numerous inquiries -- either from former students who moved away from the cities in which the classes are offered in traditional classrooms, or from people who have heard or read about the school and want to attend but again are located far away from where the classes are held today. At present, students attend the online classes from several continents (North America, Africa, Asia, Australia and Europe) and timezones from Pacific (GMT-8) to Eastern European (GMT+2) to India (GMT+5.5) to Australia (GMT+10).
a) You need to have a broadband (i.e., cable or DSL high-speed) internet connection.
b) A decent quality headset (NOT a separate microphone and speakers, nor a built-in webcam microphone), or a good quality speaker phone with echo-canceling capability is recommended.
c) Your computer must be relatively new (less than 5 years). Mac users must be at OSX 10.6 or higher. iPads and iPhones at IOS 6 or higher are now supported but are not recommended when a Mac or PC are available. Android devices and other tablets are NOT supported.
d) You will need a webcam.
Here is a link to some recommended equipment.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to write to DL@philosophyworks.org.
To sign up to our mailing list to be kept informed of the program, please click here.
(Introductory Course only) In view of the nominal pricing, there will be no refund or transfer of the $10 administrative fee.
Withdrawal/refunds Courses 2 and beyond: if a written request to withdraw is received before the first day of classes, a refund less a 20% registration fee will be granted. Refunds will be made within 45 days of receipt of the written request; there are no refunds thereafter.
We regret that guests are not permitted.
Registration must be made online (not in-person or by phone).
Tuition Forward Policy: If for personal reasons you are unable to complete the course after a few sessions (specifically, by the end of Week 3), you are entitled to a free retake of the whole course during the following term. Notice needs to be given to the Registration Team in writing. This does not apply to the Introductory Course administrative fee.