Registration is now open for the Spring, 2014 term
SPRING 2014: ONLINE DISTANCE LEARNING
10 WEEK INTRODUCTORY PHILOSOPHY COURSE
Deadline for Registration is April 4
Beginning: The Week of April 14th
Fee: In celebration of the School's 50th Year in New York -- the Introductory Course is being offered as a gift -- with only a $10 administrative fee. All other, ongoing, courses will be offered at the standard fee.
A course designed for thoughtful men and women who seek an understanding of the nature of humanity and of the world in which we live, this introductory course shows how great philosophic ideas of the past and present may be put to effective practical use in daily life.
The course inquires into the meaning of human existence; the levels of consciousness; natural law; thought, feeling and action; and mankind's functions and possibilities.
The introductory series of 10 lectures is offered three times a year: in January, April, and September. The online course, at one hour a week, covers the first five weeks of the traditional two-hour classroom's syllabus.
The School of Practical Philosophy is offering its Introductory Philosophy Course via an online, interactive distance-learning format. Not a text-based chat-room, this enjoyable format allows the entire class to be heard and seen via the internet.
- Introductory Monday(1) 8:00pm Eastern / 7:00pm Central / 6:00pm Mountain / 5:00pm Pacific – this class will start Monday April 14, 2014.
- Introductory Monday(2) 9:00pm Eastern / 8:00pm Central / 7:00pm Mountain / 6:00pm Pacific – this class will start Monday April 14, 2014.
- Introductory Wednesday(1) 3:00pm Eastern / 2:00pm Central / 1:00pm Mountain / Noon Pacific / 8:00pm BST / 9:00pm Central European Time – this class will start Wednesday April 16, 2014.
- Introductory Wednesday(2) 8:00pm Eastern / 7:00pm Central / 6:00pm Mountain / 5:00pm Pacific – this class will start Wednesday April 16, 2014.
- Curso Práctico de Introducción -Online- Jueves 24 de abril a las 20,00 CET (GMT +1) / 2:00pm Eastern
- Introductory Thursday(1) 10:00pm Eastern / 9:00pm Central / 8:00pm Mountain / 7:00pm Pacific – this class will start Thursday April 17, 2014.
If you have completed the introductory class and are interested in continuing using the online classroom format, click the orange Register Now button to be taken to description of additional classes being offered online. Ongoing classes (beyond the Introductory) begin the week of April 14th.
About the Distance Learning offering:
We have gotten numerous inquiries -- either from former students who moved away from the cities in which the classes are offered in traditional classrooms, or from people who have heard or read about the school and want to attend but again are located far away from where the classes are held today. At present, students attend the online classes from several continents (North America, Africa, Asia, Australia and Europe) and timezones from Pacific (GMT-8) to Eastern European (GMT+2) to India (GMT+5.5) to Australia (GMT+10).
a) You need to have a broadband (i.e., cable or DSL high-speed) internet connection.
b) A decent quality headset (NOT a separate microphone and speakers, nor a built-in webcam microphone), or a good quality speaker phone with echo-canceling capability is recommended.
c) Your computer must be relatively new (less than 5 years). Mac users must be at OSX 10.6 or higher. iPads and iPhones at IOS 6 or higher are now supported but are not recommended when a Mac or PC are available.
d) You will need a webcam.
Here is a link to some recommended equipment.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to write to DL@philosophyworks.org.
To sign up to our mailing list to be kept informed of the program, please click here.