Registration is now open for the Winter, 2014 term
WINTER 2014: ONLINE DISTANCE LEARNING
10 WEEK INTRODUCTORY PHILOSOPHY COURSE
Deadline for Registration is December 27
Beginning: The Week of January 13th for the Introductory Courses / The week of January 6th for all other courses
Fee: In celebration of the School's 50th Year in New York -- the Introductory Course is being offered as a gift -- with only a $10 administrative fee. All other, ongoing, courses will be offered at the standard fee.
A course designed for thoughtful men and women who seek an understanding of the nature of humanity and of the world in which we live, this introductory course shows how great philosophic ideas of the past and present may be put to effective practical use in daily life.
The course inquires into the meaning of human existence; the levels of consciousness; natural law; thought, feeling and action; and mankind's functions and possibilities.
The introductory series of 10 lectures is offered three times a year: in January, April, and September. The online course, at one hour a week, covers the first five weeks of the traditional two-hour classroom's syllabus.
The School of Practical Philosophy is offering its Introductory Philosophy Course via an online, interactive distance-learning format. Not a text-based chat-room, this enjoyable format allows the entire class to be heard and seen via the internet.
- Introductory Mondays 8:00pm Eastern / 7:00pm Central / 6:00pm Mountain / 5:00pm Pacific – this class will start Monday January 13, 2014.
- Curso Práctico de Introducción -Online- Martes 14 de enero a las 20,00 CET (GMT +1) / 2:00pm Eastern
- Introductory Wednesdays 3:00pm Eastern / 8:00pm GMT / 9:00pm CET / 10:00pm EET / Noon Pacific – this class will start Wednesday January 15, 2014.
- Curso Práctico de Introducción -Online- Jueves - comenzará el jueves 16 de enero a las 8:00 EST
- Introductory Thursdays 10:00pm Eastern / 9:00pm Central / 8:00pm Mountain / 7:00pm Pacific – this class will start Thursday January 16, 2014.
- Introductory course in Russian Введение в Практическую Философию Расписание 9 Февраля - 13 Апреля, 2014, по Воскресеньям с 16:00 до 17:00 по Московскому времени.
If you have completed the introductory class and are interested in continuing using the online classroom format, click the orange Register Now button to be taken to description of additional classes being offered online. Ongoing classes (beyond the Introductory) begin the week of January 6th.
About the Distance Learning offering:
We have gotten numerous inquiries -- either from former students who moved away from the cities in which the classes are offered in traditional classrooms, or from people who have heard or read about the school and want to attend but again are located far away from where the classes are held today. At present, students attend the online classes from several continents (North America, Africa, Asia, Australia and Europe) and timezones from Pacific (GMT-8) to Eastern European (GMT+2) to India (GMT+5.5) to Australia (GMT+10).
Nuevo: Curso de introducción en Español. Haga clic aquí para ver más información acerca del programa.
a) You need to have a broadband (i.e., cable or DSL high-speed) internet connection.
b) A decent quality headset (NOT a separate microphone and speakers, nor a built-in webcam microphone), or a good quality speaker phone with echo-canceling capability is recommended.
c) Your computer must be relatively new (less than 5 years). Mac users must be at OSX 10.6 or higher. iPads and iPhones at IOS 6 or higher are now supported.
d) You will need a webcam.
Here is a link to some recommended equipment.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to write to DL@philosophyworks.org.
To sign up to our mailing list to be kept informed of the program, please click here.